We have one resolution for men this year and it’s this: Sprezzatura!
Sprezzatura: The Italian art of casual elegance and style without fussiness.
Baldassare Castiglione coined the term back in 1528 and defined it as, “a certain nonchalance, so as to conceal all art and make whatever one does or says appear to be without effort ...”
It’s a purely Italian ideal, springing from a culture where style and beauty matter only because they bring enjoyment to life. In Italy, people understand that looking your best is part of feeling your best, a reflection of good health and vitality. The effort you put into caring for yourself is a sign of self-respect – and a gift you give to the world.
But it doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, here are three simple steps to self-care that will yield big results:
1. Find a barbiere you trust.
A well-crafted, professional haircut and shave are among the best investments you can make in your appearance. (For a close-up look at the gorgeous art and culture of the Italian barbershop, enjoy this quick tour through Napoli with Proraso Master Barbiere Michael Haar.) When at home, incorporate these classic Italian barbershop essentials into your daily routine.
- Antica Barbieria Colla Capsicum & Menthol Lotion For Hair - Antica's bestseller, it strengthens and boosts hair growth, extracted from essential oils and created by Franco Bompieri himself.
- Proraso's Pre-Shave Cream: Refreshing & Toning - the very first product from Proraso that made the brand so popular in the barbershop, this cream softens stubble and makes the skin elastic for a problem-free, perfect shave.
- Saponificio Varesino 1945 70th Anniversary After-Shave Lotion - this after-shave lotion combines the fragrance of a masculine cologne with rich, complex formulation of a cream moisturizer that produces a soothing post-shave experience.
2. Care for your skin.
We love a finely tailored suit as much as the next person, but nothing you wear matters more than the skin you live in. Healthy skin glows with energy and life – and it requires daily care. Italians have perfected the art, performance, and style of gentleman’s grooming over centuries, and the result is that you have access to a wealth of exceptional products for cleansing, moisturizing, and nourishing your skin. Use them. Take the time to find the right bath soap, an exfoliating facial cream and moisturizer, pre-shave and aftershave treatments that soothe without irritating, and masks to give your skin a regular boost of extra nourishment.
- Parco1923 Bar Soap - fit for hands and delicate enough for the face, Parco's natural ingredients respect the PH of the skin and leaves an immediate feeling of cleanliness and veiled in a woodsy perfume.
- Borghese Purifying Mud Mask - a Borghese staple, this detoxifying mask helps counteract environmental pollution with a blend of powerful survivalist plant extracts. It exfoliates skin and minimizes the appearance of pores and fine lines.
- Tuttotondo's Vela Pre-Electric Shave Formula - the best partner to prepare the beard for an electric razor. It softens the beard & prevents skin irritation to provide a softening, soothing, protective, and refreshing experience.
3. Smell great.
A clean and subtle scent is an essential part of a man’s grooming routine. It communicates style without words, elegance without effort. And Italian heritage brands offer a rich array of scents that conjure thoughts of the ocean, old-growth forests, and exotic spices. Find a scent that helps you feel as fresh and energized as when you’ve just come out of the barber’s chair – and let it speak for you throughout the day, and into the evening.
- Acqua Di Bolgheri Uomo Eau de Parfum - Original, dynamic, and aromatic. It's as rich and eloquent as the sound of the sea. Uomo's main fragrance notes are spicy: laurel, lavender, citron and ginger, amber notes and Mediterannean woods.
- Lorenzo Villoresi Kamasurabhi Eau de Toilette - Gentle, delicate, colorful flowers embraced by the seducing and mysterious fragrance of an endless forest of exotic woods, with sensual and enveloping nuances of leather, amber, and musk.
- Acqua dell'Elba Arcipelago Uomo - The base notes of cypress and cedar give this cologne the rich, masculine aroma of the deep woods. The tops notes of rosemary, sage, and pepper keep you smelling fresh and clean all day. Woodsy, aromatic, understated and confident - this cologne is perfect for every man.
This is the secret of sprezzatura – thoughtful self-care allows you to approach the world with confidence and nonchalance. It’s not about avoiding all effort, but about making it such a natural part of your life and routine that the effort involved doesn’t show.